Students collaborate together on how to best serve one of the clients they are collaborating with at the Cronkite Agency.

Transferring credits to ASU

Transfer Guide

ASU’s Transfer Guide is a helpful online tool to assist you in your transfer planning process. Manage your Transfer Pathways, requested course evaluations, saved courses searches, saved exam searches and more.

View the Transfer Guide

How credits transfer to ASU

When you transfer to ASU from another college or university, the following general standards for transfer credits apply. You can use ASU transfer tools to learn how credits will transfer and begin creating your roadmap to graduation.

Accepted credits

ASU accepts college-level (not remedial) courses in which transfer students have earned a grade of “C-“ (4.00=”A”) or better from regionally accredited colleges and universities. If a course is repeated, the first course in which a minimum of “C-“ grade was earned will be used.

Pass grades may be transferable to ASU if the institution or transcript indicates the "P" grade is comparable to a C- or better. Pass grades are not calculated into your transfer GPA for admission.


The applicability of a specific transfer course toward an ASU degree program depends on the requirements of the department, division, college or school in which you are enrolled at ASU.

Credit hours

A maximum of 64 semester hours of credit will be accepted as lower-division credit when transferred from a regionally accredited community, junior or two-year college, with the exception of some special programs. An unlimited number of credit hours will be accepted from four-year institutions. Upon admission to the university, you will work with an ASU academic advisor to determine how your transferable credits apply toward your selected major.

Credit conversion

Acceptable academic credits earned at other institutions that are based on a different unit of credit than the one prescribed by the Arizona Board of Regents are subject to conversion before being transferred to ASU. All ASU students must meet graduation requirements (university, college, major and general studies requirements) to earn a four-year degree.

Degree requirements

The ASU college of your major determines how transfer courses fulfill the degree requirements of your ASU major. You should review the degree requirements of the program into which you intend to transfer and talk with an academic advisor about your transfer credits and how they will apply to your degree program.

Determining GPA

Grades and honor points that you earned at other colleges and universities are considered for admission, but your ASU cumulative grade point average is based solely on coursework taken at ASU.

Types of transfer credits not accepted by ASU:

  • Courses in which you earned below “C-” as your final grade.
  • Credit awarded by postsecondary schools in the United States that lack candidate status or are not accredited by a regional accrediting association.
  • Credit awarded by postsecondary schools for life experience.
  • Credit awarded by postsecondary schools for courses taken at noncollegiate institutions (e.g., governmental agencies, corporations, industrial firms, etc.).
  • Credit awarded for continuing education units (CEU), continuing education credit, workshops, seminars, professional development courses and other not-for-credit courses through postsecondary institutions.
  • A student who feels they have been unjustly denied credit for transfer may appeal the decision.

Military credits

ASU is proud to welcome transfer student veterans of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard and National Guard to our undergraduate student community.

veterans at graduation

Evaluation of military transcripts

ASU uses the American Council on Education's Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services to assess how to transfer military credits to ASU. In general, a military course must be similar to an ASU undergraduate course to transfer to ASU.

Military credits that transfer to ASU through educational experiences in the armed services are not applicable toward completing ASU’s general studies requirements for graduation, but do count for total credits toward completion. No transfer credit is awarded for vocational certificate category ACE recommendations.

The JST is reviewed for potential transfer credit in accordance with VA guidelines and Arizona statutes related to awarding credit for military training and education. Credits are evaluated at the time of JST submission to ASU. It is recommended the JST be sent to ASU upon application to ensure timely processing and evaluation.

ASU accepts the following military transcripts for transfer credit:

Air Force and Space Force members

Enlisted members

The Community College of the Air Force is a regionally accredited community college. If you received credit for courses taken through the CCAF while in active service, submit this transcript as part of your application. You can request to have your official CCAF sent to ASU from the Community College of the Air Force transcripts page. CCAF now offers electronic transcript delivery through Parchment, a digital credentialing service. Students are able to create an account on Parchment to send transcripts.


Officer transcripts are maintained by Air University. First-time users must create an account by accessing the AU Service Desk. This works better on non-NIPR and Google Chrome. On the homepage under the Quick Links tab, select Official Transcript Request. Complete the required components of the form, add the attachments and submit. The Service Desk can be accessed by any device that has internet access; it is Common Access Card (CAC) enabled, but this is not required. The AU Service Desk is a secure application and certified for submission of Privacy Act information.

Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Coast Guard members

  • The Joint Services Transcript has replaced the Coast Guard Institute Transcript, the Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System and the Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript. 
  • All enlisted members, officers and warrant officers, both active and veterans from all Army components, Coast Guard, Marine Corps and Navy, are eligible for a JST. You do not have to be on active duty to access the JST website and your transcript. Active duty, reserve, veterans or National Guard personnel can use JSTs.
  • Some students may have concerns about a security warning when accessing the website.  This happens when a user logs in to a Department of Defense network from a non-networked computer without a CAC. You can confirm the security exception to proceed to the JST request site. If you do not confirm this exception, you will be unable to place your order.
  • Register for a JST account, and direct the DoD to send your transcript to ASU. 


Veterans exception

By Arizona statute, no failing grades received by a veteran at an Arizona university or community college before military service may be considered when determining admissibility. This exception may be used only one time and applies only to veterans who:

  • Are honorably discharged.
  • Have served in the armed forces of the United States for a minimum of two years.
  • Have previously enrolled at a university or community college in Arizona.

Military service records must be submitted, including form DD 214.

Credit by exam

You may earn no more than 60 hours of credit by exam for any degree program, including ASU comprehensive and proficiency exams.

ASU's credit by exam policy

Frequently asked questions about transferring college credits

How do I transfer college credits to ASU?

You can transfer credits to ASU by requesting your transcripts from all colleges you have attended and have them sent directly to ASU. Then, when you have completed the admission application, paid the application fee and are admitted to ASU, your qualifying credits will automatically be added to your ASU Degree Audit.

How many college credits can be transferred to ASU?

You can transfer a maximum of 64 college credits from a regionally accredited community, junior or two-year college for courses in which you have earned a “C” (4.00=“A”) or better.

What is the ASU Transfer Guide?

ASU’s Transfer Guide is a useful tool that shows how college courses you’ve already taken will transfer to ASU. If you don’t see a particular course in the Transfer Guide, you can request a course evaluation.

View more FAQs